The original war memorial bearing the names of those in the parish that fell in the Great War was replaced in 1948. The new memorial, now mounted on the North Aisle wall ,was given to the Parish by Catherine Buckton and bears the names of all those men from Baldersby and Rainton that fell in the two World Wars.
A small plaque on the right hand side of the memorial states that it was “Made from old battleship teakwood by Hughes Bolckow & Co Ltd, Battleship Wharf, Blyth, Northumberland”
Hughes Bolkow & Co Ltd were long established shipbreakers breaking their first ship at Blyth in 1911. As a sideline they made furniture and other fittings such as war memorials from the wood, in particular teak ,that they salvaged from the ships they were breaking.
|John Richard Wells
|John Alfred Hodgson
|Donald Leslie Wilson
|Robert Francis Dunning
The wording on the war memorial is as follows:
For God and Homeland